Thursday, May 26, 2011

"El Centro feels like home."

            Hello my name is Ryan Rivera and I am a student from El Centro. I started going to El Centro after Kensington Business high school would not take me. My mom called the school district and the school a number of times but nothing got done. They just kept telling my mom to do the same thing, which was to call the school district then the school district would tell my  mom to call the school. This went on back and forth for hours. At that point I just did not have a school to go to so I was out of school from about September to January until I found out about El Centro. After I applied it was all good from there.
            I think El Centro is the best school I have ever been to. As soon as I got started here they had an art gallery opening and I was involved. It was all student art and we had a lot of people who came and liked what they saw. Now that art class in my school is called a R.W.L.O. (real world learning opportunity) and they have more classes like that. They also have L.T.I. classes which are internships where you can work anywhere you want as long as it is involved with the school I had an internship at a motorcycle shop where I learned about bikes and how they ran and how to take off parts and stuff like that.
Now I know for a fact that the alternative schools the school district runs do not have classes like this. I have had my experiences. I went to C.E.P. and it was not fun, it had packed classes filled with disruptive kids. No learning happened there and I felt as though they were always violating our space by searching us whenever they wanted. When I went in the morning we would walk through the metal detectors but that was not enough because they still searched us by hand I just hated it there. Ever since I got to El Centro it’s been way different. There are no metal detectors we don’t get searched, it’s just way better. I can’t even call El Centro an alternative school. To me an alternative school feels like a prison but to me EL CENTRO FEELS LIKE HOME.  DON’T TAKE AWAY MY HOME…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment