Thursday, May 26, 2011

These students are ME. (And you.)


I stand here today as a concerned sibling, guardian and as a product of the North Philadelphia communities (the schools, the local organizations and the people). I was once one of these students, who lacked support at home, feeling like I wasted my time in a public school every single day because my success meant nothing in comparison to the straight A students. A student who struggled to prove my potential because the system only highlights those who are visibly perfect not those students whose parents have language barriers or are simply disengaged, who suffer behind poverty, who have issues at home and use school as an outlet to run from the pain, those students who simply need guidance, support, resources- A HELPING HAND.  I was one of these students and now my 15 year old sister, who is under my guardianship, now she is one like every other student here today. These alternative schools provide these kids with a foundation of positivity- where they learn have support, grow as individuals and professionals where they have the opportunity to shine and prove their potential every single day. These students aren’t walking into schools every morning- they are walking into their second homes. I have come across students who are closer to school staff than their own parents and because of that they are motivated from day one and graduate to come back and help others who like them have been labeled ASTRAY, because no one ever mattered to hear their story. I’m here to tell mine, because each of these students is me; now a working professional, parent and college student at the age of 22, who has overcome barriers and made it through crappy schools with the help of mentors and leaders who many are now the faces behind these schools. As a guardian I have witnessed significant and valuable change from my sister and from many students whom I associate with regularly. These schools are not only for students with behavioral problems, or students who have children, or students who simply didn’t want to go to school – these schools are schools of acceptance, discipline mixed with family values, learning and growth. These schools have made a major impact to our communities and have changed many lives; don’t try to fix something that isn’t broken. These schools are whole, their values are straight and their outcomes are proven every single day with young people like me. Please look into this issue closely and dig deeper because in little time these schools have managed to do what school districts have been trying to 
figure out for years and that’s how to keep every single one of these kids engaged!


--Maryelis S., sister of an el Centro student

No comments:

Post a Comment