Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"This is a school worth saving."

I'm the Director of Student Learning, and I work on the fringes of el Centro, observing in classrooms, joking with students in the halls, working with the teachers one-on-one and in meetings.  I’m not at the heart of el Centro, and perhaps because of that, my point of view is a little different.

I know how hard the advisors here work.  I know how challenging the work is.  I see their emails come in at 11:00 at night.  I watch them work through lunch.  And I’ve seen them go through it with their students.  These kids challenge them.  And I’ve seen how they love their kids.  They are patient, they listen to them, they meet them where they are, encourage them, push back.

This school has been a labor of love for them, and for the students.  The kids come here because they need a new way of learning.  And every day, they are pushed outside of their comfort zone.   They learn to speak to groups, to talk about their learning and growth, to assess themselves honestly, to work together, and to set long-term goals and work toward them.  And in return, they get to have a relationship with an adult that is consistent, supportive and long-term.

The amount of love and creativity that flows through this school, the devotion and relationships, the hard work and hard times…  it’s really inspiring.  I’ve worked with many schools, and this one is truly singular.  There is not another group of students or teachers who stand out in my mind as so exceptional, unique, challenged and challenging.

This is a school worth saving.

--Jen Ghidiu

No comments:

Post a Comment